Being a big fan of the motto “Today is the first day of the rest of your life” and an avid believer that change can (and should) be applied at any moment, the start of a new year still marks an important point for me. It’s the time for me to look back at what I’ve achieved in the past year, and to set personal goals for the new year. So here it goes…
The Past Year
2013 has been full of change. In fact, I don’t think my life has changed this much in the past 10 years. A quick overview of my highlights:
- Moving to Brno, CZ.
- Due to that, meeting Klára.
- And due to the two points above, a lot of personal development.
- Growing the company with Steven.
- Doing my talk at WebExpo 2013.
- Lots of traveling. My ‘commute’ between Haarlem and Brno obviously, but also Copenhagen (Denmark), Vienna (Austria), Alanya (Turkey), Prague (Czech Republic) and Bratislava (Slovakia).
- Starting BrnoJS and ColoursConf (more on this later).
- Picking up sports again.
The New Year
When picking my goals for the new year I tried to make them as specific as possible. I am a data nerd, and the only way for me to actually achieve any of these is to track my progress. So, without further ado, here are my goals for 2014:
- Participating in at least 4 running competitions. I’ve already signed up for the first one.
- Doing sports at least 5 times a week (running, fitness, swimming or stretching / yoga exercises).
- Spending at least 4 hours per week writing (articles, blogs, thoughts, whatever).
- Leaving the office at 18:00h at least 3 times per week (time spend after 18:00h is hardly ever efficiently spend, and I can use the time well to attain my other goals for 2014.
- Reading at least 3 hours per week and at least 1 novel per month (in the past 4 years I’ve hardly read any other book than UX-related ones, I think reading novels will drive my creativity in all fields).
- Taking Czech classes (I need to improve my command of the native language of the country I am living in fast).
- Speaking at least at 3 events (big or small), excluding events I organize myself.
- Attending at least 2 events per month.
- Writing down the 3 things I’m grateful for per day.
- Tweeting at least once per day (I get a lot of value from people I follow in Twitter, I should give more back).
- Talking about valuable communities, I want to contribute to UX.SE or Quora at least 3 times per week.
- Eating at least 2 pieces of fruit or vegetables per day (the best I can do at making this goal SMART).
- Returning missed calls within 24 hours (I’m really bad at this).
- Taking a holiday break at least twice (I’m also really bad at this).
Thanks to all the great people around me in 2013 and here’s to 2014!